The perfect house date
March 12, 2017
*This is a collaborative post
Getting a new house can be a bit like dating
. At first you can’t believe that they are available. Maybe even doing a double take followed by a squeal of excitement. They are perfect! But are they? Flaws often don’t get noticed straight away. Maybe they are carefully hidden or you just don’t notice them in the first rush of excitement.
For us in the last few years, there’s been the brand new shiny house with no back garden access. Fine until you have to get muddy bikes through the house to the shed. Then there was the open plan cottage that had old wooden bi-fold doors that slugs would manage to get in through when it rained and you would come down in the morning to shiny trails on the wood flooring (it did have a log burner though). Or maybe the best one was the old rectory with 5 bedrooms, a beautiful large garden and millions (no exaggeration) of spiders. Not to mention the never ending family of mice and the oil heating. Now we are in a modern three storey with a lounge diner and cream carpets with a toddler!
I can’t be the only person that regularly flicks through Rightmove looking at beautiful houses? I think when it comes to houses a bit like dating, the grass can seem greener.
In an ideal world my perfect house would have;
- A bedroom each for the kids = 5 in total
- Study for James to do his work.
- Roll top bath and walk in shower (just for me, no boys allowed)
- Large garden with space for garden furniture, a sandpit, swings, trampoline and a hot tub, but not so large that we have to employ a gardener to cut the grass (it seemed like a good idea at the time)
- Beautiful kitchen/family room so I can cook dinner and talk to the children. A space to relax in.
- Lounge with a log burner (love those things)
- Bi-fold doors out to the garden to let in lots of light.
- No clutter!
- Playroom for all the kids toys.
- Utility room so I don’t have to look at the washing pile.
We are hoping to buy again in the next couple of years and having done it before I know how confusing it can all be. We will definitely be using someone like The Law House property solocitors when we find our perfect date house (hopefully).