I love being a mum of boys, one thing it never is, is boring!
5 things mums with boys will understand.
1. If you don’t already appreciate toilet humour, you will need to learn to love it, ignore it or somehow tolerate it. Boys love all things toilet humour. Even just uttering the words poo, bum, willy, fart, pants will have them in fits of giggles. I’m lucky that I can join in with this to some extent. However when they are running around naked (boys love being naked) shouting ‘bum’ at each other it can get a bit much! They also like to wee! You will see lots of it, clean up lots of it and hear about it a lot.
2. They are always moving! From the moment they open their eyes in the morning they are busy. They have two speeds, fast and faster (except when they are getting dressed for school!) they will run everywhere and have one volume level, LOUD! Boys have constant energy that needs burning off and you either find ways to help them do this, or suffer the consequences.
3. There will be trips to A&E and many, many pairs of ripped, hole in the knee jeans! Boys can hurt themselves doing the simple everyday things, my eldest knocked himself out running along the pavement and tripping over his own feet! They are physical with each other. It’s like they have a constant need to be touching each other and be in each other’s space. If you have a climber you will learn to try and relax, look the other way or close your eyes when you see them suddenly leap off the highest piece of play equipment!
4. Mess, there will be lots of it. Boys can find dirt where no dirt has ever been found before and think anytime is a good time to get dirty. You will bore yourself with constantly reminding them to put their dirty clothes in the wash basket, put their toys back, not tread dirt into the house, put the toilet seat up/down and to wash their hands!!
5. They are loving. Boys are cuddly and love their mums. There is a special bond between mums and their boys. My almost 7 year old will reach for your hand when walking with you and still cuddles his teddy in bed. They are secret softies underneath the boisterousness. You as a Mum will feel fiercely over protective of them and won’t be able to imagine another girl ever being good enough/able to tolerate/ love them as much as you do!
One final thing. All boys look like absolute angels when they are sleeping! That is till they wake up again!